Geocoding: Location Value from Non-Spatial Data
Much of the data we store, retrieve, and analyze has a spatial component, and when exploring data to make decisions, maps can be hugely valuable. Modern database systems have the ability to store and reason about location and geometric information natively, and users are increasingly taking advantage of these capabilities. Nonetheless, it’s common for location to be expressed implicitly, for example as addresses or names of regions.
In some cases, data is truly spatial while the representation is not. For example, you might have an Excel spreadsheet that contains a lat/long location for each row. Or, you might have data in a format that describes airport runways in terms of location, length, and orientation. These are simple cases to deal with; all that’s necessary is to build a geometric representation using the values at hand.
A more challenging (and common) case is to extract locations from addresses. This is called geocoding. You can go backwards too – reverse geocoding starts with a location and looks for an address. Geocoding is very data intensive; for it to work, you need to know where all the addresses are, or have a model that can predict the answers. And geocoding is big business: there are many companies providing geocoding services, software, or supporting data. Safe isn’t in the geocoding business, but we want our ETL software to be a great platform that plugs into others’ geocoding solutions.
Geocoding helps make the jump from charts and graphs to maps, which in turn can offer greater context and insight.
We can help you to implement process to:
- Prepare your data, before geocoding process
- Geocoding, by street address, postal code and/or boundaries
- Reverse Geocoding
- Embed phonetic search algorithms
- Automate these processes
- Establish specific rules (when no number associated, place point in the beginning, middle or end of the street
- Deploy a geocoding service with your own data
- Check your data, after geocoding process
- Automate this process to keep your addresses geocoded, harmonized and up-to-date
Innovatech Consulting can you help your geocoding challenge with:
- Assess the quality of your data
- Prepare your data for geocoding – Cleaning, Enriching and harmonizing your data – maps and addresses.
- To create a full geocoding project, using web services (Yahoo’s geocoder, Google’s geocoder, Proxix’s PxPoint geocoder and others) or your own database, from assessment, workflows development and documentation to implementation and training of your staff, to assure the maintenance of your geocoded data
- Delivery FME, the leading tool for spatial ETL, to your organization
- Offer official and presencial training
- Provide the best possible after-sales efforts, with standard support and advanced support